The World Series of Karaoke
February 20-25, 2017
Official Rules/Release Form for Singers
There are two ways to qualify for The World Series of Karaoke in Las Vegas, NV:
2. Win a WSOK Karaoke Satellite contest ran by a WSOK Karaoke Location or KJ
Singers Registration Online Rules
1. All contestants must be at least 18 years of age. If selected for Las Vegas, you may need to show proof of age.
2. Everyone will be selected from the YouTube video, submitted (unless you have earned a spot by winning one of the Karaoke Satellite contests). If you register but do not give us a video, you will not have a chance of being picked to perform in Las Vegas.
3. Only one singer per registration. Singers must perform solo. No duets or group performances allowed.
4. The registration fee is a total of $75 for singers selected to be in the shows in Las Vegas ($0 when initially registering and submitting a video, and the remaining $75 due if selected to be in the shows in Las Vegas. Singers selected to be in the shows in Las Vegas will have to pay the remaining portion of $75 before they can perform at The Main Event in Las Vegas. Any singer not selected to be in the shows in Las Vegas will not have to pay the $75 registration fee. If you win a Satellite contest you will not have to pay the remaining $75 registration fee.
5. Not every singer who submits a YouTube video will get picked to perform in Las Vegas. All submitted videos will be watched and scored, with only the top-scoring singers winning a spot to perform in the contest in Las Vegas.
6. No refunds will be given unless The World Series of Karaoke is canceled. The World Series of Karaoke reserves the right to reschedule The Main Event three times without refunding the registration fee. This has never happened and we don’t plan for it to happen. This will only happen if we do not get enough singers to register by the due date of The World Series of Karaoke Main Event or if we lose the right to use the showroom in Las Vegas where the The Main Event is scheduled to appear. If refunds are issued for any reason, $15 of the registration fee is nonrefundable. This is a nonrefundable operating cost that is covered by each registration.
7. The contest will have spots for 320 contestants. Online Registration winners and Karaoke Satellite contest winners will make up the contestants, and they will be split up as evenly as possible. There is no way for us to know the percentage before we see the number of singers who register online and the number of Karaoke Satellite contests ran.
8. Every contestant is required to register online by filling out the online registration form. The form must be filled out completely with a YouTube video link.
The Main Event in Las Vegas Contest Rules
1.Any on stage props must be approved by the producer of this event before each contestant’s performance.
2. All songs must be performed in English. If there is a part of the song that is sung in a different language, that will be allowed.
3. Rap and Heavy Metal songs are not allowed in the contest. What consists of Rap and Heavy Metal songs is the decisions of the producer and staff.
4. Decisions of the judges are final. Any contestant who attempts to argue with the judges or staff will be disqualified from The World Series of Karaoke.
5. At each show, the contestant with the highest combined score will be the winner. In the case of a tie, the audience vote will be discarded and only the judges’ scores will be used. If there is still a tie score for First Place, then the judges will be asked to write down who they thought the winner was. The singer with the most names will be the winner.
6. Each contestant singing at The Main Event in Las Vegas will be required to pay the remainder of the $75 registration fee unless the entry was won through a Karaoke Satellite location. If a singer has already paid the full registration fee of $75, they will not have to pay the $40 at The Main Event.
7. Online registration for this contest will close on December 31, 2016.
8. Contestants who have made it into the contest will have until January 9, 2017, to confirm their spot in the contest. Failing to confirm by the deadline could mean the spot is given to the next singer in line to move up.
9. The contest will have spots for 320 contestants. In the event we do not pick 320 contestants from the video submissions, contestants will be split up as evenly as possible in each show.
10. If a contestant registers in November, they will be able to pick the night they would like to perform if selected for The Main Event. Contestants registering after November will not get to pick what night they perform. The names of the contestants who register after November and selected for The Main Event will be placed in a hat and randomly picked to determine what night and the order the contestants will perform.
11. You will be emailed a link to a song registration form to pick your songs for the contest in Las Vegas. In the case of two contestants picking the same song on the same show, the singer who filled out the song registration form first will keep the song and the singer who registered later will have the choice to pick another song if they wish to. Only if another contestant selects a song first may a contestant change their song selection.
12. Personal media (CD-Gs, Flash drives, etc.) will only be allowed if our KJ informs us they do not have or cannot get the version of the song you would like to sing. You will then be told what you must have in order for us to be able to use your media. It must be a legally owned copy of the song. If the requirements are not met, your media will not be used. The decisions of our KJ are final.
13. Songs cannot be more than four minutes long for all rounds. If your song is longer than four minutes, there is a good chance it will be faded out at the four-minute mark and you will not be able to finish the song. We want to be able to give as many singers as we can a chance to sing in Las Vegas, so that is the reason for the four-minute-song rule.
14.There will be three judges grading each contestant on the following three categories:
- Vocal Performance (10 points) –How was the singer’s pitch, phrasing, vibrato, rhythm, and tone? Did the singer sing on key? Does the song fit the singer’s vocal range and ability?
- Stage Presence (10 points) – Here, the judges will decide how comfortable you seemed on stage. Did you sing to the entire audience? Were you looking up at the ceiling or down at the floor the whole time? Were you glued to the lyrics monitor? Are the words sung at the correct time? Correct Lyrics?
- Overall Performance (10 points) – Did the audience like you? Did the singer dress like a winner? Was the singer, able to get the audience into his or her performance? These are the things the judges will think about when they score you in this category.
15. The World Series of Karaoke and other sponsors associated with the contest will not be held responsible for any problems that arise as a result of the sponsoring Karaoke Satellite contests. Furthermore, Contestant agrees to waive and release any and all rights, claims and causes of action whatsoever that he or she may have against The World Series of Karaoke and other sponsors in connection with contests.
- There will be five shows per day, one show for each of the five singing categories, Monday through Thursday, February 20-23, and participating singers will perform one song each. The top two singers from each show will move on to compete in Round Two. Eight singers total from each singing category will move on to Round Two – The Finals.
Round Two – The Finals:
- There will be two shows on Friday and three shows on Saturday, February 24 and 25. Eight different singers will be in each show and will sing two songs each. The top three will be announced from each show.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable. Contestants and winners must be over 18 years of age and will be required to provide identification to claim prizes. If we have 250 singers or more selected through video submissions and Karaoke Satellite contest winners, the total prize pool will be $10,000. If we have 249-188 singers selected through video submissions and Karaoke Satellite contest winners, the total prize pool will be $7,500. If we have 187-150 singers selected through video submissions and Karaoke Satellite contest winners, the total prize pool will be $5.000. If we have 149-60 singers selected through video submissions or and Karaoke Satellite contest winners, the total prize pool will be $3,000.
250 or More Singers
249 to 188 Singers
187 to150 Singers
149 to 60 Singers
1st Place - $5000
2nd Place - $3000
3rd Place - $2000
1st Place - $4000
2nd Place - $2000
3rd Place - $1500
1st Place - $2500
2nd Place - $1500
3rd Place - $1000
1st Place - $1500
2nd Place - $1000
3rd Place - $500
Release Form for The World Series of Karaoke
By entering into this Karaoke contest, Contestant agrees to authorize The World Series of Karaoke to use the following personal information:
- My picture – including photographic, motion picture, and video images.
- My voice – including sound and video recordings.
I hereby grant to The World Series of Karaoke and its subsidiaries, licensees, successors and assigns, the right to use, publish, and reproduce, for all purposes, my name, pictures of me in film or video form, sound and video recordings of my voice, and printed and electronic copy of the information described in sections (1.) and (2.) above in any and all media including, without limitation, cable and broadcast television and the Internet, and for exhibition, distribution, promotion, advertising, sale, press conferences, meetings, hearings, educational conferences and in brochures and other print media. This permission extends to all languages, media, formats and markets now known or hereafter devised. This permission shall continue forever unless I revoke the permission in writing.
I further grant The World Series of Karaoke all right, title, and interest that I may have in all finished pictures, negatives, reproductions, and copies of the original print, and further grant The World Series of Karaoke the right to give, sell, transfer, and exhibit the print in copies or thereof, for marketing, communications, or advertising purposes, as it deems fit.
Be at showroom at least 20 minutes prior to show time. If you are late your spot may be given to the next singer who is waiting for your spot.